Tuesday, May 3, 2011

On Lying

These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
A proud look, 
a lying tongue
and hands that shed innocent blood,
An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, 
feet that be swift in running to mischief, 
A false witness that speaketh lies, 
and he that soweth discord among brethren. 
Proverbs 6:16-19






Don't tell a lie, is probably one of the very first, notably important lessons we learn as a child. It's not too far fetched to suggest lying is ingrained in our sin nature. Humans will generally default to a lie when feeling vulnerable. It surely is the go to choice for children when the judgement of their character is at hand. Under pressure, it may seem like the best defense against protecting your reputation. We have all done it at one time or another. What has your lying cost you?


What good has ever come from telling a lie? 


Lying lips are abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly are his delight. Proverbs 12:22


I'm not writing here to condemn you for lying, I have lied myself. The Bible states we should judge righteously. I'm not judging your lying, rather pointing out just what lies can do. I've been on both the giving and receiving end of lies; it's not a pleasant experience either way.

God wanted to make such a point about lying that he included it as one of his 10 Commandments. Commandment #9 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour" Exodus 20:16

Lies can swiftly become arduous, spiraling out of control, requiring you to recall the exact tale you told. The lie paves the pathway to more and more lies sending you striving to cover up or explain the lie(s) already told. In turn the story has to become more detailed and elaborate to escape being found out. Lying causes fear, anxiety, and stress.

Lying creates crippling wedges and ruins relationships.  It has been responsible for destroying marriages and business partnerships. It is a prevalent characteristic in narcissistic and sociopathic personality disorders. The betrayal perceived from lies have caused people to commit heinous acts like physical abuse and murder.

Do you realize what the lie potentially does to your integrity? A man/woman is not worth much without their integrity. I remember my father always saying "Your word is your bond". Trust can be lost forever. The truth you speak (or lack thereof) is manifest in the quality of your character. "A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh." Luke 6:45

I believe that as humans, we all desire to find truth and we expect truth. In our conversations with others, we assume the truth is conveyed. When we purchase products we demand they be presented in truth. When we trust a person of a certain profession we expect that they profess truth in their conclusion.

Truth
is like the light, and lies like darkness. Light can't exist in darkness. It is always best to tell the truth, lest someone find you to be liar. Confessing a lie before you are found out will gain much more respect than having to be proven a liar.



And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. John 8:32




But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death. Proverbs 21:8

2 comments:

Sarah said...

One of the things I can't bear at all is my children lying. It's nearly impossible for me to lie, and I want the same for my children. I tell them that it's doubly wrong to do something wrong and then lie about it. I also tell them that I will always believe them if they will always tell me the truth.

The hardest part at this age (8) is that my daughter often misunderstands her teachers and comes and tells me something that is so crazy. Then I have to go talk to the teacher to figure out what is truth. She takes everything very literally. I have to be careful...

Mae R said...

Just shy of learning the meaning of the word *No*, I agree that being taught that lying is bad is ingrained at a very early age. Whether or not a child holds true to those lessons deoends on the person bringing the child up. If the child winesses an adult - whom they are taught to admire, respct, and learn from - lies then all of those original lesson we for nothing.


I too have experienced first hand the damage thay lying can cause. Its the reason I am a signle Mother. Never in my childs life have a I ever lied to her. Recently, I found out that a friend had been lying to his child. He was someone I had known for 16 years. I no longer speak to him. To lie is to show that you are weak, to lead an honest life shows strength.

Thank you for your blogs Kimmie. It is refreshing to know other people who think like me. :-D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...