Sunday, August 8, 2010

New Dress Sewing Project

I was looking online the other day for fun dress sewing project ideas for the girls. I came across this tutorial to make a little girls dress from a man's button shirt. It don't know about you, but I thought this was super adorable. I found a cute women's button dress shirt at our churches rummage sale and thought it may be perfect for this project. I paid about 10 cents for the shirt.

I'm not going to write a tutorial on this, but I am posting progress photos. I did change a few things. I did my straps differently and I changed the top trim and bottom hem. It was a little bit of work, but I'm sure the next one will go a lot faster. And, I'll definitely have to make a second one because both of the little girls are deciding who is going to wear this one and which day's they'll wear it. They are so cute.

This was a woman size large shirt. It had a funny blue snap that had been added at the top. I'm assuming it was because the buttons didn't go high enough to make it modest, but the snap didn't match the other yellow buttons. So I was able to make my first button hole. It's not that great looking but it works. It was a pain trying to get that snap off.

Here are the pictures. I'm thinking the dress is about a size 4/5 ish.


The shirt

The shirt, cut up

Tracing and cutting dress shape

The back of the shirt is the front of the dress

You can sort of see the blue snap at the top. The front of the shirt is the back of the dress.

Button hole and button in place of the snap

Making the straps

Straps and trim on the front of the dress.

Bottom trim hem

Lovely lace to finish the bottom

Patiently waiting for her dress. Here is the finished front

And, the finished back.

Here she is. Emily with her cute dress.

I just love the back. It's so cute!

This was a fun project. I can't wait to make another one.

5 comments:

Zsuzsanna said...

Wow, very impressive! You are a good seamstress!!!

Amy said...

OH MY! That is so stinking cute and looks pretty easy.

Great job. I love that dress!!!

Kimmie said...

THANK YOU!!!

Joann said...

Cute dress! Your girls are so beautiful!
We are looking forward to meeting you and your family. You do not need to bring anything but thanks for the offer.

A. M. Newsom said...

I came over from RH:)

Great dress, I have never seen it done this way! I love it!!! And the lace adds a nice touch of femininity...great job.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...