Thursday, April 1, 2010

DO YOU EVER WEAR PANTS?

The title "Do you ever wear pants?" was a question asked by the girls' violin instructor yesterday. Kiley said "we used to". She quickly responded with "You all always look so nice, it reminds me when I was a little girl, we always wore dresses. I think people used to care more about how they looked." I thanked her, not having expected her to say such a nice thing.

Before I begin here are some of my reasons for ditching pants for skirts/dresses:

  • They are SO MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE, Can you say "FREEDOM"?
  • It looks so much nicer
  • They have to be laundered less
  • I have noticed more respectful treatment from strangers/store workers
  • I want my clothing to be pleasing to God
  • My husband LOVES all of his girls in dresses
  • Countless compliments on how nice my family looks. How nice, sweet and well behaved my children are.
  • God commanded "The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God" Deuteronomy 22:5
  • If you've had babies and your belly has not gone back to normal, you don't have to try and squeeze into pants. Dresses hide it. "YES!"
  • Less worry about your butt and thighs being too big and others noticing. They are covered. "WHEW"
This blog is about OUR choice for OUR family. This is a conviction that has been placed on my heart. This decision has taken prayer and discussion with my husband. He is all for it. He loves it. Please understand we do not think differently about any other girl/woman in pants. Please don't misread.
(Whining) Emily and Julia started it. As soon as they were old enough to talk/point they have worn mostly dresses. Last summer they began to ONLY want to wear dresses/skirts. August and Kiley started to follow in their footsteps, asking for more dresses/skirts.
I noticed when we started at our "new" church last year that most of the women and girls wore only dresses/skirts. How beautiful they always looked.
Modesty is largely absent in our society. I used to think "ugly" when I thought of modesty. Frumpy fat and ugly, right? Nonsense. For 6 months now the girls and I have slowly began to transform to a more modest tone of clothing including wearing skirts/dresses daily. Believe me, I am only 30, I do not want to be ugly or frumpy.

(The photo is of Kiley. Isn't she just darling?)
It has been harder and harder to find "little girl" clothing in stores. I'm guilty, I confess of the "skinny jean". Which we have now thrown away. I didn't like those on my daughters from day one. First, my girls are way too skinny for skinny jeans, then it made them look "older" and they acted a little sassy. It's funny how clothing affects attitude. Since wearing dresses/skirts, they are not acting sassy or walking with an attitude. They actually act/look like sweet young ladies. There is just something gorgeous about little girls who look like little girls.

"Isn't it harder for them to play in dresses and skirts?" I haven't noticed anything harder. They are playing just the same. In fact we needed to get undershorts/leggings to cover their unmentionables, since they still like to rough house.

We have set up a small rule of thumb: All skirts/dresses must come to the middle of the knee or below. Shorter skirts and dresses are not very attractive, in my own opinion.

"Wow, don't you feel weird wearing dresses everyday?" Um NO! In fact, I'm much more comfortable. If you haven't noticed girls still wear dresses. Women used to wear them daily, and they looked so much nicer. I can't begin to tell you how much more positive of a response I receive from people when we are all dressed nicely, than if we were all in sweatpants.

This has not been a difficult transition. In fact I don't think I've worn a pair of pants in at least 4 months. I haven't even thought about it. I have found that I LOVE wearing skirts. I actually have worn skirts quite a lot in the past, just not daily. Ask my closest friends, I have ALWAYS had an issue buying jeans that fit me.

It has been fun buying skirts and dresses for everyone. Since we are on such a small income, the 2nd hand stores have been AWESOME! I have been able to clothe all of us girls in dresses/skirts mostly from these stores. Can you say "SUPER CHEAP". Um, don't turn your nose at me, we have found awesome quality name brand stuff for just $1 or $2 an item. Can't even tell they were worn. I find it funny that it is so very difficult to find dresses/skirts for older little girls at regular retail stores. Mostly, they are all very short.

Kiley was right on with her answer to the question: "Do you ever wear pants?"
"We used to"

Col 3:12 Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;

2 comments:

Cheron said...

so I have a question? Do you get cold?

Kimmie said...

You know, I almost added the cold factor to the blog. haha. I have been asked that before. If it's cold of course we will wear a longer skirt where you can easily hide tights/leggings. And on top jackets/sweatshirts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...