Thursday, March 17, 2011

Potato Soup

 

Potato was one of my favorite dishes as a child. My mom made it so well. The ingredients are simple and it's easy and quick to make. I make it often because not only is it good, it's cheap and filling and lasts a couple of days. I can usually get 2 dinners and a lunch out of 1 batch.

The directions are for a Gessler family size double batch. You may have to adjust based on your family size.

Ingredients:
  • Potatoes (I use 12)
  • Chicken bullion cubes (I use 8)
  • Leek (I use 1)
  • Yellow Onion (I use 1)
  • Heavy Whipping Cream (I use 1 qt)
  • Salt and pepper
  • Chervil
Directions:

Fill pot on stove top with water on high to warm up (I fill my large stock pot a little more than half way).
Add bullion cubes.
Peel and wash and cut potatoes into chunks add to water.
Bring water to a boil.
Chop leek and onion and saute in a pan, then add to boiling water.
Boil until potatoes are very soft (about 20 minutes).
Turn heat down and add whipping cream.
Use a potato masher to start to break up the potatoes (not too much, its not mashed potatoes) My husband likes chunky potato soup so I leave some chunks.
Add about a palm full of Chervil and stir up.
Serve with french bread or something similar.

It's very good, and very easy.

2 comments:

Shana said...

ok what is chervil? Its in your potato soup recipe :)

Kimmie said...

Oh Chervil leaves, it's a ground up leaf, you can find it in the spice section at the store.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...