Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Even so, it is well with my soul.

Psalm 46:1 "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble."



Horacio Spafford

Horacio Spafford was a prosperous attorney in Chicago. He was a devout Christian and elder in his church along with his wife Anna and four daughters.  In 1871 a great fire broke out in Chicago and most of Spafford's money and real estate investments were lost. Despite his loss he and his wife helped others who had lost their things in this great fire. His faith in God remained. In 1873 he and Anna decided to take a vacation to England. He was held up last minute by business and sent his wife and daughters alone, promising to be on the next ship out. The ship Anna and the girls were sailing on,  S.S. Ville de Havre was struck by another vessel on November 21, 1873 and sank in 12 minutes. Over 2oo people drowned including Spaffords 4 daughters. His wife, Anna was rescued unconscious at sea. When she arrived in England, she sent him a telegram that read "Saved alone. What shall I do"

Anna Spafford

He set out to England to bring his wife home, and the captain informed him of the place where their ship had gone down. He wrote in a letter, "On Thursday last we passed over the spot where she went down, in mid-ocean, the waters three miles deep. But I do not think of our dear ones there. They are safe, folded, the dear lambs."

It was at this tragic spot in the Atlantic Ocean that he used a hotel paper and wrote the lyrics to the hymn "It Is Well with My Soul"

Spafford also lost his only son. It's been said it was in 1871 and also 1880. I have seen both stories, so I'm not sure which date is true. But this man and his wife lost their fortune and 5 of their children. (They had 2 daughters after this tragedy).

Spafford and his wife Anna moved to Jerusalem, to minister and preach the gospel to the Jews and Muslims. Spafford died in Jerusalem, in 1888, and is buried there.

If only our faith in God was just a speck of what this man's was. How great we could be for the Kingdom.



It Is Well with My Soul

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,

When sorrows like sea billows roll;

Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,

It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Refrain:

It is well, with my soul,

It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,

Let this blest assurance control,

That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,

And hath shed His own blood for my soul.


Refrain:

It is well, with my soul,

It is well, it is well, with my soul.

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!

My sin, not in part but the whole,

Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,

Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

Refrain:

It is well, with my soul,

It is well, it is well, with my soul.

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,

The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;

The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,

Even so, it is well with my soul.


Before you play this, you will have to scroll down to the bottom and turn off the auto music player. ;)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...